Saturday, March 16, 2013

Expressing Sympathy at a Funeral


"I lost my brother," sobbed a stranger crying on my shoulder. "John was just like a brother to me. Do you know what I mean?"

"Uhhh, yes," I mumbled back rather incredulous.

After all, we were at the funeral of my only sibling.

Sharing words of comfort at a funeral is something many find an uneasy task.  Unfortunately, this discomfort often manifests itself into awkward statements to the bereaved. Instead soothing the grief-stricken, they are left feeling worse.

Here are a few other things to avoid:

He is in a better place.

She lived a good long time.  My neighbor's daughter died young.

Did the doctors give her any hope? 

You will get over it.

I know how you feel.  I lost my pet iguana last month.

It was his time.

How to express sympathy sincerely:

I am so sorry for your loss.

I fondly remember insert name of the deceased for his/her insert something like great belly laugh, love of karaoke or poker skills.

What an inspiration he/she was with their insert something like being a terrific father/mother.

I don’t know what to say, but I am here to help anytime you need.

You are in the thoughts and prayers.

Don’t say anything.  Instead, offer a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment